Becoming a resident of Monaco

To become a resident...

All foreign nationals over the age of 16 wishing to reside in Monaco for more than 3 months of the year must apply for a resident card issued by the Monegasque authorities, under the Franco-Monegasque Convention on good-neighbourliness of 18 May 1963 and Order 3.153 of 19/03/1964 relative to conditions of admission and residence of foreign nationals in the Principality.

European Economic Area (EEA) nationals

You will need a valid identity card or passport. No visa is required.

Nationals from outside the EEA

Before beginning proceedings in the Principality, you must request a working visa issued by the French authorities. Please note that this visa also concerns minors.
Contact the French Consulate in your country of residence.  The formalities to be completed will differ depending on your nationality and country of origin.

In all cases, you will need to:

- Provide proof of accommodation in Monaco suitable for the size of your family. Please check the list of agencies that are members of the Chambre Immobilière Monégasque.

- Provide proof of sufficient financial resources:

  • Be in possession of a work contract
  • Or be the manager or director of a company, self-employed, or an entrepreneur
  • Or be in receipt of financial support from a third party
  • Or be in possession of sufficient savings

- Provide proof of good character (extract from police register or equivalent)

Find out more

The Monaco Welcome & Business Office - a dedicated contact point for those looking to move to the Principality for personal or professional reasons - 9 rue du Gabian (1st floor) - (+377) 98 98 98 98  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

La Direction de la Sûreté Publique [Directorate of Public Security] - Division de la Police Administrative [Administrative Police Division] - Section des Résidents [Residents Units]  - responsible for Resident Card applications - 3, rue Louis Notari - 98000 Monaco (+377) 93 15 30 17

Getting your resident card

Resident Card applications are processed by the Directorate of Public Security's Residents Unit. The documents and information to provide for this process depend on the applicant's profile and motivations.
Click here for details on resident card applications.
Please note: Resident Cards are not issued to minors under the age of 16. However, a Document for the Movement of Foreign Minors may be issued in order to facilitate travel abroad.